Yesterday was my birthday! Tom kept asking me where I wanted to go for dinner and I kept telling him I just didn't want to make food the main focus of my day. So we left it at that.
I got up contemplating the aging process and slowly got ready for school. I had this little verse we sing at the beginning of the day in my head, "Hello neighbor! Whaddya say? It's goin be a happy day!!...." and made a pact with myself that it would indeed be a happy day despite the aging factor. Tom insisted on making me eggs for breakfast regardless of my insistence that I really didn't want them. I ate them because he so desperately wanted to please me.
Off to school I went to find that my secret pal brought me guacamole and chips with fresh fruit and dip to share. Steph wanted to celebrate and I said, "How about bowling?' Anything but focusing on food today. When class was over and it was time for our mini celebration, I was hungry, Steph had a photo shoot and all the other ladies were busy. She suggested a movie, Pinkberry anything I wanted to do. We ended up at our usual lunch place sharing more food than either of us wanted.
I knew the day would improve because we had a tennis date with Bryce and Sarah. Surely the birthday celebration would not center around food!!! Bryce came first and was, of course hungry. He scrounged for a bowl of cereal and we waited for Sarah to make her way through the traffic. She arrived all smiles carrying a ginormous apple pie from Costco for just three of us because she doesn't eat stuff like that.
Tom had a meeting and the night got later and colder and tennis seemed a faraway dream. TV Basketball and a game of chicken foot got us to the time when everybody was home. Remember, "A Happy Lindsey is a Full Lindsey! " So you can only guess what happened next. We piled into the car to go to dinner, not just any dinner but an all you can eat dinner at Soup Exchange. Home again, home again, jiggity jig came four little pigs to the giant pie. Sarah searched for candles and was ready to light them when the doorbell rang and in walked Diane with a bag full of melt in your mouth dark chocolates. "Happy Birthday!" she cheerily exclaimed. I thanked her profusely and went back to the pie. How could I dismiss Sarah's heartfelt attempt to bring Birthday cheer. I told everyone, "Sarah bought this pie and we are going to eat it!" After stuffing down the pie I chuckled at my feeble attempt to have a food free Birthday. Thanks to all who remembered my special day.


10 comments:
haha. can't get away from the food. it's impossible. we'll go to the gym, on a walk in the hills, and play tennis to make up for it when i get there :). luv ya.
At least you'll always remember your fiftieth...something birthday because of all the festive activites. Lets just pretend your birthday is this weekend. Bryce and i want to come over on saturday and play tennis or do something exciting. I'll bring another pie if you want...
p.s...
LOVE the mystery person pics.
I really felt the intensity of the interprative photographical art. Turned out beautiful...i was really inspired.
Happy HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Nan, you are simply the greatest! I wish I could have seen you when we were in Cali a few weeks ago... we were in YL for less than 48 hours, and that includes half a day house-shopping in Riverside! But alas, I foresee a day in the not-so-distant future when I will live in Cali and we will get together and finally catch up... with the babies! Anyway, hope you had a full-bellied birthday and love!
Happy Birthday Nan! Don't worry about the food...think about the people giving you the food! I can relate though, food does seem to rule my life! Hope you had a great one!
You should know better, life revolves around food. You don't need to worry about aging because you look as young as the first day I met you. Granted that was only a few years ago but you already looked young then. You're beautiful.
Nan, take some of my 25th birthday reflection advice and just appreciate how beautiful you are now at 50. Chances are you won't look this good in another 50 years. You look fabulous! More important though, you are an amazing person. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
You are so funny Nan!! Glad you had a great day. Food is so hard to get away from. It is evil I tel you EVIL!!!! LOL!
Love your family. It was so fun to see you this past weekend.
Happy Birthday Nan! (I love the shot with Tom's head cut off.) Aging must not be too hard to contemplate when you look soooo good. Your family is beautiful. Darla
I sneaked a peek at your blog (through Spring's) Hope that's ok. I had to laugh at the jiggity jig line, lololol! Welcome to my world!
The birthday celebration sounds memorable for all the right reasons~~family and friends! Happy Belated Birthday! AND remember, it's just a number~~ I think we all timewarp at thirty.
xo
Robin Neilson
Post a Comment