Tuesday, April 29, 2008




This is just a taste of the construction paper world I live in. It's rather silly where all my creative juices go, but here you have it. This is the main bulletin board in my classroom. As you can see we're full of Spring things, flowers, bees and ladybugs.
This board is our own ant farm. Underneath the board on the counter is a real ant farm with many busy harvester ants working away
This is a rainbow of kids.
And here is a beehive with lots of bees.
It won't be long before my room is transformed into an under the sea delight . So I wanted to document my cute Spring  bulletin boards.
 I have a veritable zoo on my science table right now, with a crested gecko, a green western toad, several walking sticks, silk worms, a rose haired tarantula and of course my ant farm. But I've also been plagued with unwanted critters this year, from mice to lizards, a hummingbird and today the visitor capped them all. Under the toy shelf some of the children discovered a huge brown beetle. Now you have to understand that I have no problem holding the tarantula,  the gecko, the toad and the walking sticks. I capture spiders and beetles for bug jars and don't think twice about picking up crickets to feed my critters but this unwanted guest threw me. As I found a cup to capture the 2 inch long cockroach I had to control myself to not freak out in front of the children. I finally did catch him and quickly went to flush him with 12 little people watching me in wonder. The disgusting creature leaped out of the cup and back onto the floor. I shrieked and children scattered. The teachers next door were cackling as I scrambled to get him again. Finally with deep satisfaction I watched as critter met water and swirled dizzyingly to his demise.  

8 comments:

Adrienne said...

cute bulletin boards mom. it's ok if that's where your creativity goes. all that matters is that you have an outlet somewhere. i think the need to create must be a girl thing. maybe a lindsey thing. i need a new project. also, your beetle story made me laugh.

Unknown said...

You are more fearless than I! Skyler MADE me catch a cricket by myself while he watched. It was jumping around everywhere!

Anonymous said...

Nan i love how you write!
O.k, seriously you have so much patience putting together those bulletin board...i'd go crazy. I can't believe you'll have to take them down! They're so pretty.

Eric, Sammy, & Kami said...

I would totally freak out - If I were you I'd make one of my boy students do it for me. Hahaha this post made me laugh. Love the boards, those children are lucky to have a teacher like you.

Eldredge greatness said...

wow.. Im out of the loop. Nan, you NEVER cease to amaze me. You are always doing something worth while! Very inspiring. :)

The Drawes said...

This is the time when I wish I had these kinds of talents passed to me. This looks great!!!

Gledtimes said...

Nan! What amazing bulletin boards! How fortunate for the children you teach to have you! Great writing style too! Darla

Jessett said...

You are so talented Nan. Not surprising....

Just wanted to wish you a Happy Birthday. What are you like 28???? Well, you cant be any older than 30. You look amazing. The older you get the younger you look. We love you and miss you all. Tell the family hello for us.

Vegas is great... We are still loving it. We are so grateful to be out here.