




I had another one of my dreaded 11:00 PM phone calls with the caller ID of Jessica Lindsey. As of late things have been pretty mellow from Jessie-land so I answered casually chiding her for calling me with the results of American Idol. Immediately I knew something wasn't quite right when she began to cry uncontrollably and tell me that she really hurt herself. As the story unfolded and the pictures began to develop in my mind of male soccer opponent charging into female competitor with airborne daughter crashing to the earth in a twisted heap, I emphatically chided her for being transported to the ER in an ambulance and complained that certainly there must have been someone with a car that could have driven her there. As the night drew on and the prognosis grew more glib I felt bad for being upset about the expensive mode of transportation and started worrying about repair work.
Sunday, May 18, 2008
Jess had surgery on Thursday to repair her broken fibula. A plate and three screws later she was back to the land of the living. Ten long weeks in a no weight bearing cast followed by a walking boot for two more months is the future for Jessie Lou.
I can hardly stand being so far away. She keeps assuring me that there's nothing I can do and she's got lots of people who are willing to help her get around. Her boyfriend Mike, whom I keep wanting to ignore the fact that she has a boyfriend, has been a real sweetheart. Thanks Mike, for being at the hospital from 10AM to 10PM and helping my Jessie girl cripple around. Thanks for keeping me informed about what was going on for two days. You did good! Thank you Lauren, Megan, Cassie, Sierra and Denae for being such good roommates and friends.
Keep smiling Jessie and heal quickly. I wish you weren't so very far away. I do want to come and take care of you cause that's just what moms do.
Posted by Tom and Nan at 11:18 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comments:
Nan and Tom, One of your challenges as parent's seems to be to agonize over the physical injuries, or traumas of your children, and to make it worse, to agonize long distance! Having indoor dogs, (what I call my not-physically-active children)has so far spared me many sleepless nights due to injuries and the like. You are great parents.
Post a Comment